Even in the dry desert climate that is Phoenix, mold is known by homeowners for its adverse health affects. And it can grow just about anywhere under the right circumstances.
However, preventing the spread and growth of mold is relatively easy – you must control the moisture in your home. These 17 mold prevention tips will help you do just that.
- Always use the bathroom vent fan when taking a shower or bath. This vents excess moisture out of your home.
- Keep the humidity level in your home low. The recommended level of humidity is 30-50%. Use a dehumidifier to remove excess humidity from your home, if necessary.
- Clean up spills immediately. By cleaning up any spills right away, you can prevent the growth of mold.
- Increase ventilation in your home. Open your windows, when possible to vent moisture out of your home.
- Keep your air conditioner maintained. A dirty drip pan or clogged air conditioning drain line can lead to a backup of water in your home.
- Use your kitchen vent fan. Whenever cooking, running the dishwasher or washing dishes, use your kitchen vent fan.
- Consider installing a UV germicidal light. Your air conditioning system creates natural moisture that can get passed into your ductwork. A UV light kills mold spores at the source.
- Repair and maintain your roof. Leaks in your roof let water into your home.
- Make sure the ground slopes away from your home. Water pooling around your home’s foundation is a recipe for mold.
- Keep gutters clean and in working order. Check your gutters at least once a month to ensure there are no blockages, holes or leaks.
- Insulate your cold water pipes. Cold pipes can attract condensation, which can create a breeding ground for mold.
- Fix any leaks in your home’s plumbing. Leaks create dampness, which welcomes mold.
- Replace carpet with hard floors in bathrooms and kitchen. It is best to have hard surfaces that can be easily dried in places like bathrooms and kitchens, where moisture is more prevalent.
- Maintain your water heater. To avoid spills and leaks in your water heater, your water heater should be checked about once a year.
- Clean bathrooms regularly. Prevent mold from building on surfaces in your bathroom by keeping them clean.
- Take care of your drains. Keep your drains clear of clogs and prevent backups of water into your home.
- Install a HEPA filter. If there are mold spores in your home’s air, a high-quality air filter can help remove them.
The best way to prevent mold is to remove or control excess moisture in your Phoenix area home. These 17 tips will help you and your home remain mold free.
Looking for more great articles like this one? Fountain Hills Air publishes a monthly newsletter with coupons, money-saving tips and helpful articles. Join the newsletter now!